Let me start off where I became interested in the arts. My father Otto Eduard Schroeder was then running his own art school in Windhoek Namibia. I attended those classes as they were inspiring -being confronted with all different crafts besides pencil and paper – Lino Printing- etching – wood carving etc. plus his theoretical art classes conducted on art history- a must for art education. School – Goldsmith Apprenticeship – my MA studies of Jewelry and Tableware Design in Germany gave me a sound foundation.
I especially thank my father for his advice completing a 3-year bench work apprenticeship first before my design studies -I can confirm his advice- it really makes the actual working process so much easier.
Back to designing or planing as I would like to call it.
Most of my work is based on 4 stations on the road of a tangible result –
discover – investigate – define and develop
I consider discovery as most important as it outlines the probability of the birth of an interesting product and hints on whether to further investigate and research. Defining the product entails the customers brief in mind – utility – price range – the form -surface treatment- production method and the material to be used. After this stage the developing takes it course – pencil sketches- CAD drawings – paper models – small scale model to get the “feel” of it are completed to be presented to the customer if required.
Obviously, my personal experience, exposure and a good ability to visualize give me the confidence required during this journey to find solutions for sometimes very demanding assignments.
During any of my planing journeys, interesting incidences brighten up development processes, often changing the line of thought with interesting results and last not least emerging spin-offs for further processing consideration.
When asked what inspires me? – the answer is almost everything that makes sense – music – travelling – visiting exhibitions – going to museums – having good food- enjoying time with family and friends.
Wherever – whenever – however – I always keep an open mind – listen and observe and note.
I can only recommend that you process everything you’re seeing, hearing, and reading on a daily basis, and let it translate through your hands into works of art.
- Born in Windhoek, Namibia.
- Completion of a 3-year Apprenticeship with E.Frey Master-Goldsmith, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Invitation by Co.Gueblin, Lucerne, Switzerland to join for an Internship in its Design Department and Manufacturing Department.
- Design Education: Fachhochschule fuer Gestaltung, Pforzheim, Germany where I completed M.A.Design with Prof.R.Reiling & Prof.K.Ulrich.
- Thesis – NUBAS – Body jewellery.
- I work concept and theme wise utilizing sculptural and linear elements.
- Majorly I work on an assignment basis through my CAD drawings.
- Design work was done by me -both one of a kind and serial.
List of publications, projects and exhibitions
- Gallery Ibo – Klagenfurt, Austria
- Art Association Pretoria and Cape- Town South Africa
- Studio Matthar Cologne, Germany
- Yearly exhibition at IINHORGENTA Munich Germany
- MUBA Basel Switzerland
- 2004, 2009.2011exhibited at AMBIENTE Frankfurt, Germany
- Designer Platinum & Gold) Co.Gerstner Pforzheim, Germany.
- Own studio for Jewellery Design in Pforzheim, Germany
- Project Manager for “Schmuck der Galatea “Jeweller Co. in Hong Kong & Pforzheim
- Consultant for Design Production techniques with Saudi
- Pearls & Gold Factory, Rijad, Saudi- Arabia.
- Project – Design &Manufacturing of Sterling Silver. Table clocks Company Soelch Eisingen Germany
- Design & Manufacturing of own Wristwatch Collection in Silver, Gold & Precious Stones
- Project – Consultancy for Sunrise Jewellers . Madras, India
- Principal at Jewellery Product Development Centre New Dehli India
- Invited as Educational Consultant JDTI Noida India
- Design Director Silk and Silver Noida
- Design Director El Unique Delhi India
- Setting up – Faculty training – Jewellery Institutes in Karachi and Lahore Pakistan
- Exhibited at the Saffron Auction House in Delhi
- Since 2013 own Galleria and Workshop in Delhi
International Jewelry Competitions
- “Diamantenschmuck von morgen“De Beers Runner-up.
- “Gold” Art Association Pforzheim 4th Prize.
- “Idar-Oberstein Schmuck & Edelstein Preis“ 1st Prize & Runner-up